Have you ever gone to the grocery store and stared through the glass at the various delicious store made cold salads, wishing you had the recipes to make them yourself for a fraction of the price the store charges for them? Well, sure you have.
Well, put those situations together and you have a salad envy lunch box meltdown.
But fear not, there are solutions to these problems my friends! You really only need to identify a few key ingredients in these salads, and spend a few minutes searching for recipes and you can make your own delicious salads to take for lunch!
Due to this ingenuity, my co-workers will envy MY lunch this week, kids. Yessssssss! If you don’t want to envy my lunch, you should try making it yourself.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked in hot water and drained (optional, but delicious)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon honey (optional)
Once the quinoa has finished cooking, stir in the drained garbanzo beans, toasted pine nuts, and raisins. Serve warm or cold.