Mmm, a warm coffee cake. Comforting. Perfect with a hot cup of coffee on a winter’s morning.
My husband loves coffee cake, and this one is no slouch. This makes a great breakfast or brunch item, or just a fantastic snack. I plan on enjoying some while sitting in front of my Christmas tree this holiday season.
A few things about this coffee cake recipe – it is not picky at all. No need to sift any dry ingredients, no particular order to mix the ingredients. One thing you do want to note though is the baking time. The baking time for this cake may vary. I used a glass pan for baking this cake, so if you use a metal pan the baking time may vary quite a bit from what I’ve stated in the recipe and you should watch it near the end of the baking time to be sure it doesn’t over bake.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 - 3 apples, diced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Grease an 8x8 baking dish with butter and set aside.
- Mix the first 8 ingredients together to make the cake batter.
- Spread half of the batter in the cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss the diced apples with the sugar and cinnamon.
- Spread the apple mixture over the batter in the pan.
- Top the apples with the remaining batter.
- Bake for 55 - 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
1 3/4 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk
2 – 3 apples, diced
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Mix the first 8 ingredients together in a large bowl.
Spread half of the batter in a greased 8×8 inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, toss the diced apples with the sugar and cinnamon.
Top the batter in the pan with the apple cinnamon mixture.
Top the apples with the remaining batter.
Bake for 55 – 60 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
NOTE: Baking time for this cake may vary. I used a glass pan for baking this cake, so if you use a metal pan, the baking time may vary quite a bit.