Winter is upon us, friends. Although the season here in the Maritimes has been very gentle so far, it is icy, a bit windy, and overall definitely winter-ish.
We as a family really like winter and the outdoor activities that come with it – winter walks, snowshoeing, and sliding. When we come in from the outdoors we really like digging into something to warm us up, so in the winter I tend to make more soups, casseroles, and hot drinks.
Hamburger soup is one of the recipes we enjoy the most after a day spent outdoors in the cold. It is easy to put together, hearty, and healthy too. Winter soup perfection.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 potatoes medium, peeled, diced into 1" cubes
- 1 turnip medium, peeled, diced into 1" cubes
- 3 carrots medium, peeled, chopped
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup instant rice optional
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Add ground beef, onions, celery, and garlic. Saute until ground beef is cooked and no longer pink.
- Stir the condensed soup into ground beef mixture. Add remaining ingredients, except the rice.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 30 minutes, or until root vegetables are tender.
- If desired, add rice to soup and continue simmering for an additional 15 minutes.
- Check seasoning and adjust as necessary. Serve hot!